Djúpavík, a small village in the Northwest of Iceland in the Westfjords region, consists of seven houses, a hotel and the ruins of a herring factory. In the mid 1930’s Djúpavík boasted of the first fully automated fish factory in Europe but began to decline in the mid- to late 1940’s when there was a decline in herring fishing. The hotel is open mostly in summer months as Djúpavík is often cut off from road transportation during winter months. As of 2010 Djúpavík had 2 year-round residents and three summer residents. Work continues to update and preserve the site while maintaining its cultural heritage.